Have you jumped on the Navidad commercial wagon yet? As a way to incorporate more authentic listening to our students we began showing them commercials from Spanish-speaking countries as a way to introduce and practice new vocabulary and look at different aspects of culture. With our transition to more culturally themed units and our discussion of holiday traditions in Latin America and Spain commercials are a perfect fit and the students LOVE them!
I teach Spanish 1 and you might be wondering how one might use an authentic commercial at this level if they are often very fast paced. The answer is to change the TASK not the resource! I now only use authentic audio (commercials, songs, shorts) in my lessons and the students vocabulary and listening comprehension has soared to new heights. The trick is to pick just one or two things to focus on during the listening and to keep it SIMPLE!
Some examples of tasks Spanish 1/novice students can do…
- circling or checking off vocabulary words they hear
- circling or checking off images of things they see
- a cloze (fill in) activity
- writing the words they recognize
- circling or checking off the aspects of culture present in the video
- answering comprehension questions in English
- answering comprehension question using true/false statements
Need some inspiration for your holiday unit? Here is a listing of commercials from all over the Spanish-speaking world!